lunes, 26 de mayo de 2014

How to present a topic using technology? Here are 2 recommendations!

I’m for the use of technology in the classroom. Even though sometimes it is difficult because not all classrooms have access to technological resources, when these resources are available we must use them.
Since this week’s topic for ECO II is “presentation software”, I’d like to recommend you two softwares you can use as tools to introduce some topics in your lessons.

The first one is “NASA’s Eyes” which is a software that shows you the Solar System, the Earth or Exoplanets as viewed from NASA’s satellites. I haven’t used it on a real lesson but it could be useful for a “topic based” lesson (or in a lesson that is part of an interdisciplinary project) where you deal with the Solar System and need something amusing for students or pupils to engage in your explanation or presentation of the topic. It is definitely more amusing than using flashcards, much cheaper for sure, and it doesn’t need any internet connection; just a beamer. What’s more, it has the official endorsement of NASA and it can be downloaded for free!
The second one can also be downloaded for free from the office Microsoft official page. It is a sort of extension for PowerPoint that allows you to present stories and tales in one slide in the form of a book. I’ve used it and it really worked in engaging children into the story I was telling them. My pupils loved the use of animated images and to see a digitalized book. It was quite easy to use when preparing the story; it just required a little of practice to coordinate my narration and the passing of slides. Besides, you only need a beamer to use it. All in all, it was fantastic and really useful.
So, these are my recommendations! Hope you find them as useful as I've had!  

1 comentario:

  1. Hi Marion! Thanks for your suggestions! Both of them are great!
    I believe that when we design tasks which include the use of technology, not only allows us to enhance students' creativity, but also our own creativity. I think it enables us to imagine and create new ways to enrich the old ones, to think differently and work in a collaborative way. Personally, I enjoy telling stories to children so I'll keep in mind this idea when planning my lessons!
    Thanks a lot!
    Iva

    ResponderEliminar